The Commish and Otter take the BoozeCast to Simi Valley to broadcast from the Golden Nugget Pub during their epic Firestone Walker Tap Takeover. We'll be giving away Booze League swag, talking Firestone Walker and craft beer, and generally boozin' it up on a Labor Day Sunday Funday.
Here's the list of some of what's gonna be on tap at the Nug:
- Parabola: Parabola is a beer of darkness and immensity, a barrel-aged beast that is routinely ranked as one of the top beers in the world. This Russian imperial oatmeal stout is aged for a full year in Heaven Hill barrels, developing ﬂavors of rich, chewy roasted malts, charred oak and bourbony vanilla. Parabola bares its teeth with its impenetrable black hue and soaring alcohol, yet its bite remains reﬁned with a silky, balanced ﬁnish. 14.5% ABV
- Stickee Monkey: Brewed with Belgian candi sugar and aged in a selection of ﬁne bourbon barrels, Stickee Monkee trailblazes its own category as a “Central Coast Quad.” Turbinado brown sugar from Mexico adds wonderful molasses flavors that are reminiscent of Belgian candi sugar. It has a full body and lush texture with barrel expression all over; toasted oak, coconut, leather and rich cigar tobacco. 12.5% ABV
- Helldorado: Part of the adventure of aging beer in retired spirits barrels is the synergistic interaction of different malt flavors with the oak and spirit flavors from the barrel. Darker beers like stouts and darker barley wines have typically been the favored candidates for barrel-aging, due to their deeper caramel and roasted flavors. Helldorado breaks that mold with a deep golden color from being brewed solely with English and American pale malts. The bready, honeyed flavors of pale malts pull out rich wildflower honey, vanilla and coconut notes from the oak, creating an overall flavor evocative of bourbon-glazed graham crackers that stands as singularly unique in our Vintage lineup. Helldorado may be lighter in color but it is a full-bodied and densely concentrated sipper at 12.8% ABV.
- Krieky Bones: What began as a birthday gift, took on a life of its own. Proprietor David Walker cornered us one day and requested a sour cherry fermented beer for his 50thbirthday. Done. A handful were sold at a Liberation, after which our loyal patrons demanded more. Voilà, Krieky Bones Batch #2! This beer begins its life as a Flanders Red style beer aged 24 months in a 2200 gallon French oak foeder. Sour Montmorency cherries are added and allowed a secondary fermentation. The aroma is of cherry pie complete with flavors of pie crust and spicy notes. Vienna malt notes give way to an assertive acidity, and a bright carbonation. 5.7% ABV
- Sour Opal: We’ve patiently waitedfor two years to offer you this exquisite ale! Sour Opal retraces its roots to the lambic cellars of the town of Brussels and the Senne River valley, in Belgium. This American “Gueuze” represents a spectrum of flavors from a traditional barrel aged sour ale, complete with aromas of aged cheese and a distinct earthy mustiness that can only be found in a well cellared barrel aged sour. The complexity and balanced flavors of Sour Opal can be attributed first to the crisp assertive tannic acidity of the Viognier barrels. Oak-derived flavors and aromas mingle with guava, passion fruit, pineapple and tart cherry notes. This beer rounds out with a crisp clean and quenching acidity as well as a mild grape fruitiness that is intensified by a higher carbonation level. 6.8% ABV
- Gen 1: Brewed at FW Propagator. Generation 1 is aggressively hopped with Citra, Mosaic and Mandarina hops, yet maintains a soft, agreeable texture. The word from Propagator brewer Ben Maushardt and his crew is that Generation 1 is “loaded with bold aromas and devilish drinkability.” 7.6% ABV
- Adversus: Prodigiously hopped yet nimbly brewed with pilsner malts, Adversus ultimately achieves the improbable: a big, bold IPA made for summertime sipping. A hard-charging blend of Pacific Northwest hops leads the way, loading the nose with notes of stone fruit, pineapple, mango and earthy pine resin. Meanwhile, the use of traditional pilsner malts adds levity and dryness to the palate, allowing for a refreshing texture through the finish. The result is a double IPA that is high on hop aromas, balanced in bitterness and perfect for the long, warm days of summer. 8.2% ABV
- Westside Beavo: West Side Beavo is a one-off collaboration by brewmasters Logan Plant and Matt Brynildson, inspired by a friendship forged at the Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest. “Logan has been to the fest several times, and we’ve been talking about doing a collaboration for a few years now,” said Brynildson, Firestone Walker’s brewmaster. “We’ve both been itching to do our own IPLs, so we thought it would be a perfect style to explore together.” 6.5% ABV
- Union Jack: This aggressively hopped West Coast IPA showcases stunning pineapple, citrus and piney aromas along with exceptional dry hop flavors of grapefruit and tangerine. This intense brew finds its balance in hone-like pale malt sweetness. The name Union Jack is a nod to the colonial origins of the IPA style, and to the British expatriate who co‐founded our brewery. 7% ABV
- Pacific Gravity Weizenbock: Flavors of sweet vanilla and bourbon mingle with banana and clove in this barrel-aged German-style weizenbock. Brewed with wheat, pilsner, Munich, and highly-kilned melanoidin malts for a solid base, PGW has just a touch of hop balance, letting the banana and clove character of our traditional Bavarian wheat beer yeast strain take center stage. Eleven months spent resting in retired charred American oak bourbon barrels adds a layer of complexity reminiscent of Bananas Foster. 9.2% ABV